By Beth Aust, RN, Integrative Nutrition Health Coach
I’m asked a lot of questions on HOW to use and incorporate essential oils into daily life.
More and more people prefer to use more natural products with the growing popularity of relaxation therapies and an increasing awareness of the potential harm-toxins and chemicals can have in our life.
Ever smell a certain scent and a memory of the past pops up?
Our olfactory system or sense of smell is one of our most primal senses. When we breath in an essential oil, it passes through our nasal passages through our olfactory bulb to the limbic system of the brain. This is the part of our brain that holds are memory and emotions.
75% of American homes use synthetic air fresheners that contain numerous amounts of chemical agents including formaldehyde. YUCK
The olfactory nerve is a pathway to the brain, which when hit with formaldehyde will disrupt the endocrine system. This may decrease your nose from being able to smell as well. If you are unfamiliar with Formaldehyde, research it.
How to use Essential Oils:
Topically- Because of their molecular structure, Essential Oils are rapidly absorbed by the skin. Applying the oils to your feet is a great way to absorb the oils into your body. With over 2,000 pores in each foot, they have some of the largest pores on your body. You can bathe in the oils. It is best to mix 15-20 drops with Epsom salt in a separate bowl, then pour the bowl in the bathtub.
Direct Inhalation- Fragrance is the substance of memories. Research shows that when inhaling the pure constituents in these oils, it can stimulate the olfactory receptors and activate regions in the brain’s limbic system associated with memory, emotion, and state of mind. This is why inhaling the oils can have a great effect on emotions. The only way to reach that part of your brain is not orally, but through your nose.
Diffuse- Harsh chemical formulas aren’t your only home cleansing option. Enjoy peace of mind without compromise when diffusing pure, therapeutic grade essential oils. By diffusing, it helps to purify and cleanse the air from environmental impurities.
Internally- Essential oils like Young Living Vitality oils are safe for internal consumption (as approved by FDA). You can drink the oils in a glass of water, juice or tea. You can cook with the oils and add them in your food. The oils that are safe to take internally that Young Living offers are the Vitality oils which have a white label and are Non-GMO certified.
Essential Oils Safety Tips:
- Do not put essential oils directly in eyes or ear canal, it will burn.
- If an essential oil gets in your eye, put milk or a carrier oil (organic and unrefined Olive, Grapeseed, Almond, or Coconut oil) around the eye for relief. Do NOT use water!
- If an essential oil feels hot to the skin, immediately apply a carrier oil on the area for relief.
- No peppermint, rosemary, or eucalyptus oils for children under the age of 5, or wintergreen for children under the age of 12.
- Citrus oils are photosensitive, so if applied topically, avoid being in the sun for a long period.
- If you are allergic to anything, always read the label.
- If you are under the care of a Health Care provider, ALWAYS discuss with them first.
Only use PURE, Therapeutic grade essential oils. (clears throat, Young Living)
Look at the ingredients list of what you have in your bathroom and kitchen. We put things every day on our skin and into our bodies that contain damaging chemicals. The average woman applies over 300 chemicals a day to her body just through soaps, makeup, and shampoos and hair care products. Essential oils have 1 ingredient.
We use essential oils in my home to:
- Maintain happiness and overall wellness.
- Clean my home instead of using toxins and chemicals
- TO smell purty instead of those nasty air freshers and toxic paraffin candles.
- Keep my pets happy and healthy, yes even my chickens.
This information is for educational purposes only, and not meant to treat, cure, or diagnose your medical conditions. Always consult a doctor before incorporating essential oils into your healthy routine.
Peace, harmony & essential oils,