Basic and Super Myers
By Beth Aust, RN
The Myer’s Cocktail is an intravenous vitamin-and-mineral formula for the treatment of a wide range of clinical conditions. The basic “Myers’ cocktail,” which consists of magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, B vitamins(B complex, B 6, B 12), and vitamin C, has been found to be effective against acute asthma attacks, migraines, fatigue (including chronic fatigue syndrome), fibromyalgia, acute muscle spasm, upper respiratory tract infections, chronic sinusitis, seasonal allergic rhinitis, cardiovascular disease, and other disorders. The Super Myers has more magnesium sulfate, B vitamins and vitamin C.
Ingredients at a Glance
· Magnesium Sulfate/Chloride: Magnesium helps the body keep a regular heartbeat, ensures proper muscle and nerve function, and ensures the body can make enough energy.
· Potassium Chloride: Potassium maintains intracellular tonicity, is required for nerve conduction, cardiac, skeletal and smooth muscle contraction, production of energy, the synthesis of nucleic acids, maintenance of blood pressure and normal renal function.
· Sodium Bicarbonate: Used as a pH buffering agent, and as an electrolyte replenisher, systemic alkalizer. Upon dissociation, sodium bicarbonate forms sodium and bicarbonate ions. Ion formation increases plasma bicarbonate and buffers excess hydrogen ion concentration, resulting in increased blood pH.
· Sodium Ascorbate (Vit C): Sodium ascorbate is a six-carbon compound related to glucose. It is found naturally in citrus fruits and many vegetables. Ascorbic acid is an essential nutrient in human diets, and necessary to maintain connective tissue and bone. Its biologically active form, vitamin C, functions as a reducing agent and coenzyme in several metabolic pathways. Vitamin C is considered an antioxidant.
· Methylcobalamin (Vitamin B-12): Methylcobalamin, vitamin B-12, works with the other B vitamins to help proper nerve function and communication, along with proper red blood cell production.
The Myers’ Cocktail works by increasing the blood concentration of several essential vitamins and minerals beyond that which can be achieved when supplementing orally. The infusion helps get necessary nutrients into the cells.
Some patients feel an energy boost lasting days or weeks. Patients who get sick often with infections may find an improved immune response, with less susceptibility to viral illnesses.
If you are a current patient of IM of CNY, contact the office to schedule an infusion. If you are not a current patient and would like to receive infusions, visit www.imofcny.com and fill out a new patient registration to schedule a one-hour infusion consultation with either Dr. Puc or Dr. Lazzarini.